18 December 2010

Del.icio.us and I: Reflections and Alternative Alternatives

I’ve been captivated by del.icio.us from the moment I found the site in early 2004. I don’t remember how I found it, but it captivated me immediately. It was so minimal it wasn’t even clear what the site was for, but as soon as I figured it out, I was hooked. I think del.icio.us was (and remains) far more important and innovative than is generally recognized.

The Social Site for Solipsists

An aspect of del.icio.us that is rarely discussed is that while it is the grandfather of all social sites, unlike most others, del.icio.us is ridiculously useful even if you are its only user. When I save a bookmark on del.icio.us, and tag it, I do so entirely selfishly. I get two intense benefits from storing bookmarks on del.icio.us, even if no one else uses it. The first is that I can access my bookmarks equally easily from different browsers and different machines. The second is that I can organize them using tags, which are dramatically more useful than folders.

Hierarchical Storage vs. Tags

The trouble with hierarchical folders is that, in practice, they force me to choose a single place to put something. This was a serious problem for email, and remains so, to a lesser extent, for files. Since I have currently about 2,000 bookmarks, it’s also a problem for them.

The problem is perhaps clearest with email. All of the people I know who are good at finding old emails, without exception, chose, fairly early in their lives, a single organizational paradigm. I know some people who store email strictly by date. I know others who store it strictly by sender. And I know still others who store it by subject (though they are generally less successful at retrieval the the people who use one of the first two methods). I never decided, and I have always struggled to find old emails. It has always felt to me as if I need to put emails in multiple places, to reflect the fact that I will probably only half remember one detail when I’m searching for an email, and it’s very hard to predict what that thing will be.

This is the problem that del.icio.us solved for bookmarks with tags. By allowing me to attach as many relevant tags as I like to a bookmark, I almost never have any trouble finding it. Whereas I find it very difficult to anticipate the single category I will need to retrieve it in the future, it is remarkably easy to attach a handful of tags that will almost certainly mean that when I come back to look for it, I will find my bookmark quickly. As a result, since I started using del.icio.us, I have almost never struggled to find a website I’ve saved and tagged. It is remarkable, and it works for emails (and could work for files) as well.

(Search isn’t as good.)

(Many people claim that the advent of full text search has eliminated the need for organization. I disagree. While there is no question that Spotlight, on the Mac, full-text search in gmail, and equivalent solutions elsewhere, have been enormously positive, I find that I still struggle to find email, particularly, because I tend to get thousands of results when I search. The brilliance of tags is that not only can I identify bookmarks (or emails) of interest by using a tag; I also exclude all the items to which I didn’t attach that tag. This turns out to be almost more important.)

The Social Solipsist

The cross-browser/cross-machine accessibility of bookmarks and the organizational power of the tag are the two most important benefits that del.icio.us brings for me, but that is not to suggest that the social aspect is unimportant. It is also remarkable.

With del.icio.us, of course, bookmarks are public by default. (In fact, I’m pretty sure there were no private bookmarks initially.) Anyone can go to del.icio.us/njr and see all but a handful of my bookmarks. And anyone interested to see the bookmarks I have tagged with Fluidinfo, need only visit del.icio.us/njr/fluidinfo to see them. (Notice the zen-like, RESTful, perfect URLs.)

But there’s more. To see what anyone has tagged with fluidinfo, I can go to del.icio.us/tag/fluidinfo. And here something truly remarkable happens.

Despite the complete lack of any organizing principle or oversight, there is rich structure in the tags. The tagsonomy, or folksonomy, as it is called, simply emerges, and is useful. When Google fails me, I often go to del.icio.us, and look up what I want using a few tags. The results are often better than Google’s, because everything in del.icio.us tagged with a given word has been chosen by someone, in vast majority cases, for his or her own selfish (or at less, non-altruistic) reasons. There is no voting on del.icio.us. It is not like reddit, or digg; there is only saving and tagging. And though you might think that this would lead to chaos, it doesn’t. It is true both that words are ambiguous, and that there are many words with similar meanings. But this hardly seems to matter. If you look at a tag with multiple meanings, you may find bookmarks for sites covering each meaning, but that isn’t a big problem, and you can search on tag intersections anyway. It’s also true that the first tag you search on might not be the one most people use. That also turns out to be a largely unproblematical. The tagsonomy that emerges from millions of selfish actions is surprisingly clean, regular, and useful. It is almost mirac.ulo.us.

for:alex with love

Before the site even supported for: tags, I started tagging sites that I thought would be of interest to my son, Alex, with an alex tag. (Did this mess up the tagsonomy? Not obviously.) And he would periodically go to del.icio.us/njr/alex and find the sites I’d saved for him. I save origami sites for my mother, who folds, at del.icio.us/njr/origami. It works.

But del.icio.us then made this even better by introducing for: tags. I can now actually send bookmarks to Alex with a simply by using a for:alexradcliffe tag. When he goes to the site, he sees them. It’s mar.vello.us.

Love at First Site

Since adopting del.icio.us, I have used it more-or-less daily and have found it so spectacularly useful that I have built a number of aspects of my digital life around it. One of these is that I have a dense home page, for all of my browsers, that is built by extracting everything I’ve tagged with home and structuring them into a dense page that has all my most important sites. I have over a hundred links on this single dense page, and it serves most of my common internet needs, both on computers and (reformatted) on my phone. (Read this to see it, and get the code by following the instructions here , if you’d like your own).

Christmas Carol

Joshua Schachter, the banker-turned-internet-entrepreneur who built del.icio.us to solve his own need to organize and share bookmarks, sold delicious to Yahoo a few years ago. He stayed a while but quit when it was clear that Yahoo didn’t get delicious. It was apparently Joshua we have to thank for the tags in flickr as well, for (as I understand it) he spoke to Caterina and suggested that flickr needed tags. Flickr, of course, is also owned by Yahoo, and, from my perspective is the only other part of Yahoo that deserves any kind of future. But John Gruber at Daring Fireball reports that Carol Bartz, who unfortunately doesn’t get the internet, fired the entire del.icio.us team a couple of days ago as part of her plan to dump del.icio.us. (I think almost every change that team has made to del.icio.us since Joshua left has been retrograde; but I’m still not celebrating.) Charles Arthur, who does get the internet, nailed the Yahoo fiasco in the Guardian’s Technology Blog yesterday:

The trouble with all this? It’s on the internet, so Carol Bartz isn’t going to see it. If only there were some way to make it physical so she could read it . . .

Maybe she’ll dump flickr next; Charles Arthur reports that she doesn’t even have a flickr account.

Enter Terry Jones (@terrycojones; not the Python)

For much of the eighties and nineties I did research in the somewhat obscure and (then) emerging field of genetic algorithms. At conferences, I tended to spend time with Terry Jones, who worked directly with John Holland, the MacArthur genius who founded the field. Terry and I both went onto other things and we lost touch. But he was interesting, and I looked him up on the internet one day. He had a very eclectic home page that, among other things, included a set of papers he had written about computer storage mechanisms. He tried and failed numerous times to get these published. I read them and was captivated by the brilliance and beauty of the ideas in them.

In the papers, Terry discussed search and an embryonic form of tagging as the two core organizing principles that he thought should the basis for computation storage and retrieval. This was before del.icio.us, and before search assumed the prominence that it now enjoys. Terry’s tags (which he then called attributes) were more complex than del.icio.us tags, in that they carried values. So while in most tagging systems you can attach tags as labels to objects, in Terry’s mind you should be able to attach any information to anything using a tag. So at the simplest level, you could attaching a rating to something (I rate Fugitive Pieces, by Anne Michaels, 10). Or you could go further and attach an image or a webpage or anything at all, to anything else. It was extremely innovative, and the fact that he couldn’t get them published says a lot more about peer review than it does about the papers. (The papers are available here, here and here; the last was eventually published [1].)

Terry tried twice to build versions of his idea, but struggled and basically failed. I got in touch with him after reading his papers, and enthused, and I think he said I was essentially the first person who had ever liked his work in this area. He sounded quite depressed.

A bit later, another friend of his, Russell Manley (@rustlem) told him about del.icio.us, and this was the spur that made him try a third time to build his vision. This time, he sold his flat, created a company (Fluidinfo, in which I have invested and to which I am an advisor) and went for it. The result is Fluidinfo Inc, and its main product, FluidDB.

FluidDB

I think of FluidDB as like del.icio.us on steroids (though Terry doesn’t like that description of it). Seen through my permanent lens of del.icio.us, you can get to FluidDB through a series of generalizations of a social bookmarking site.

First, instead of just URLs, in FluidDB you can tag anything. FluidDB contains objects, and the objects can represent anything at all. They are identified by a special tag (the about tag, fluiddb/about) that can be used to identify the object. So I have bookmarks for websites in FluidDB, which are stored on objects whose about is the URL to which they refer. For example, I have a bookmark for entry in this blog describing how to tag books from the Guardian’s 1000 books everyone must read in FluidDB. In a modern, standards-compliant browser (essentially anything except Internet Explorer), you can see an image (generated live from FluidDB) showing my tags on that object by clicking this link. (FluidDB is completely compatible with Internet Explorer, but my graphical image generator for FluidDB is not.) Here’s a static snapshot of the same thing.

blogpost.png

The next thing you add when transforming a social bookmarking site into FluidDB the ability (but no requirement) for tags to have values. For example, this image shows the FluidDB object corresponding to Mars, and an application called Miró has added a bunch of tags to it, with information about Mars. (If you had a FluidDB account, which you could, you could add your own information about Mars to the same object.) Again, here’s a static snapshot of the object.

Mars.png

The third thing you have to add to get FluidDB is a fine-grained permissions system. In del.icio.us, almost everything is shared, though there is the ability to mark a bookmark as private (which means that only you can see it.)

In FluidDB, every tag has its own permissions, with separate controls for reading and writing and an access-control list. For each of your tags, you can choose who can read them and who can write them, either including or excluding people, or making them completely private or completely public. It’s very powerful (see Permissions Worth Getting Excited About) and The Permissions Sketch for more details.)

The fourth thing you add to produce FluidDB is a simple but rich query language. For example, you can find all the planets heavier than Earth with the FluidDB query

miro/planets/Mass > 1.0

There are lots of tools around that let you issue queries against FluidDB (though it doesn’t really have its own interface yet). I have a command line tool that talks to fluidDB, and the command

fdb show -q 'miro/planets/Mass > 1.0' /miro/planets/Name

results in this output.

4 objects matched
Object e06bea33-a000-4294-a7b2-d3245f1481ca:
  /miro/planets/Name = "Saturn"
Object e9b022e6-c770-44ad-abaa-1a2cde9a3224:
  /miro/planets/Name = "Uranus"
Object 2994f561-8efe-4e13-9374-bf3f9436eac6:
  /miro/planets/Name = "Jupiter"
Object 72144788-a59e-4819-a9c9-6b8577e2695b:
  /miro/planets/Name = "Neptune"

You can see them in a modern browser by following the hyperlinks on the miro/planets/db-next-record-about tag on the live version of the image. You can also use a more point-and-click tool like @paparent’s FluidDB Explorer by visiting http://explorer.fluidinfo.com/fluiddb/ and typing miro/planets/Mass > 1.0 into the query box at the top right. (Don’t omit the .0; FluidDB is distressingly strict at the moment, though I am promised it will change.)

In a bookmarking context, this allows you to do queries like Show me all the pages that Terry and Russell have tagged with the tag fluiddb that I haven’t. This is considerably more flexible than del.icio.us or other bookmarking tools.

The last major thing you add to a social bookmarking site to get FluidDB is an API to allow applications to talk to it. Of course, del.icio.us has a (rather good) simple API, but you can’t do very much with it because part of del.icio.us’s excellence is that it can’t actually do very much. By definition, anything that you can do in FluidDB you can do through the API because the API is the only supported way to access FluidDB at all (though, as I say, there are lots of libraries and applications built on FluidDB that use the API). Technically, the API is a RESTful, pure HTTP API that uses JSON when necessary for exchanging data. It is documented here.

FluidDB as a new, more powerful alternative to del.icio.us

FluidDB has the potential to be a very interesting alternative to deli.cio.us. Or perhaps a more accurate statement would be, FluidDB should be considered as a very serious and flexible place to rehouse data currently in del.icio.us. The power and flexibility of its information architecture can allow users to store more kinds of information, about more things, and to query and recombine that information in more flexible ways. (In fact, Joshua Schachter is an investor in Fluidinfo, though I don’t know whether he would endorse anything I’m saying here.)

Today, however, there are some important limitations worth noting.

The main limitation is that there is no application like del.icio.us for FluidDB. There are (at least) two ways to import data from del.icio.us to FluidDB, preserving everything in the export, but until some work is done building a del.icio.us-like client application, it will be awkward to use the data and to add new bookmarks. I’m confident that over the coming weeks and months, applications will be built that will provide basic social bookmarking using FluidDB, but until that time, FluidDB is only really a suitable alternative for technical users.

There are two other minor limitations today. The first that although FluidDB has a much more powerful permissions system than del.icio.us, its design (for rather fundamental and deliberate reasons) does not make it very easy to support private bookmarks in the ‘natural’ way. To be clear, it is entirely possible to have completely private bookmarks in FluidDB: but you need to organize your data in a slightly more complex structure to achieve this and native FluidDB queries on private data will have to look slightly different from native queries on public bookmarks. Such complexity can easily be hidden from the user by an application, and again, I suspect that applications that do this will appear. But they don’t exist yet.

If you do want to import information from del.icio.us to FluidDB, there (are least) two published ways to do so.

Some months ago, I published some python code to github that takes a very direct approach, creating a FluidDB tag for each of your del.icio.us tags and attaching them to objects whose fluiddb/about tag is the URL for the bookmark. At the moment, that script doesn’t upload any information about private bookmarks to FluidDB, but it could obviously do so, and I imagine I’ll add that capability some time over the next few weeks when I decide what I think the best way to do it is. I think this approach mirrors del.icio.us most directly and naturally and is a good choice if you want to use FluidDB primarily for social bookmarking, perhaps expanding to take in tags with values. It requires you to install two python packages, both available on github. You can find information in this blog entry.

But there's a simpler and better alternative from Nicholas Tollervery (@ntoll), who works at Fluidinfo. He has written a single script that just prompts you a few questions before it does the upload. It also uploads all the information, rather than just the tags, as mine does.

I imagine we’ll simplify both approaches over the coming weeks.

This diagram shows the object for a webpage Nicholas and I have both bookmarked

shared-bookmark.png

I found this bookmark my using the FluidDB query

has njr/fluidinfo and has ntoll/delicious/tags/fluidinfo

I had a single del.icio.us tag for this, whereas Nicholas had several. Nicholas has chosen to prefix all his delicious tag names with delicious/tags, which is why the are so long, but by default both his and my script put all the main data in the top level, so that a del.icio.us tag njr/fluidinfo becomes a FluidDB tag njr/fluidinfo, and the title and notes attributes are stored using FluidDB tags title and >notes respectively. Like my script, Nicholas's currently doesn't tag anything in the case of private bookmarks, but his script does create all FluidDB tags that you use, even if some of them are only used for private bookmarks. So if the existence of a particular tag you have is secret, that would be a reason not to use his script. Nicholas's code is available from github and also (perhaps more easily) from the python package index PyPI, at this location. This allows you to install it with setup tools or easy_install etc. I imagine he'll blog about it soon.

An “old del.icio.us” alternative

As will be clear by now, del.icio.us has been pretty influential in my life. A few weeks ago I had an idea for a web site not initially very similar to del.icio.us, which I have been developing slowly. I don’t want to go into details now, but it’s in the general area of checklists, allowing users to find, create, share and use checklists of various kinds. It’s a social application on exactly the del.icio.us model (by which I mean, it has no explicit ratings and is useful even if no one else uses it). More generally, you can think of it as a kind of del.icio.us for user-created and re-mixed content, specifically around checklists for now.

A week ago today I realised that since I was effectively building almost everything you need for del.icio.us, I could easily extend my new website to include an actual del.icio.us alternative, i.e. I could allow users to save bookmarks for websites as well as for content they create in the application itself. I’m generally nervous about extending small ideas and making them more complex, but this seemed like a very minor extension, and I have become increasingly nervous about the future of del.icio.us ever since Yahoo acquired it. News of Yahoo’s intention to divest itself of del.icio.us prompted me to stop wondering and start implementing on Thursday night. I hope to make a limited service available in the next few days. (I’ll update this post and create a new one announcing it when I do.)

Its functionality will be limited at first, but will include (does include, in fact) the ability to import all bookmarks and tags from del.icio.us (private and public) and maintain their state, and all the most basic functionality (creating, editing, deleting bookmarks). There will also be limited social functionality (looking at tags across users etc.) and, of course, the ability to export your data in the same XML format as the one del.icio.us uses.

Over time, I’ll try to make it ever more like the pre-Yahoo del.icio.us, as far as I can remember that. And I think it’s very likely that I will also offer users the option of duplicating bookmarks in FluidDB, to allow for richer sharing, and to provide exactly the del.icio.us-like FluidDB client that I would love myself.

Of course, I realise there are a dozen or more del.icio.us alternatives already up and running, and they are clearly a more stable, safer bet. But I hope that at least a few people will think this approach is interesting enough to try. I will probably add an option to hide all the non-bookmarking functionality, from my site, though I don’t think it will really distract much anyway. (I’ll probably turn it all off until it’s ready, next year, for now anyway.)

Carol Bartz may not be bringing much Christmas cheer at Yahoo, or to del.icio.us users, but I hope that my embryonic del.icio.us replacement and FluidDB can be part of an ecosystem of alternatives that will end up being more empowering for users and will allow hard-core del.icio.us fans to have a future more like the del.icio.us of old.

Maybe, it will be glor.io.us.

[1]New Approaches to Information Management: Attribute-Centric Data Systems, R. Baeza-Yates, T. Jones, and G. Rawlins. Seventh International Symposium on String Processing and Information Retrieval. SPIRE 2000 pp. 17-27.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels